CVJ, an underdog brand from China is highly involved in the budget IEM segment and has launched several products in their catalog. They are a brand known for their upgrade over every successor now launched the KE-S as their ultra budget IEM and in this review let’s check out how good this is against the competition.
Impedance: 22 Ohms
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20KHz
Pin Type: QDC Type 2 Pin Connector
Driver: Single Dynamic Driver
This unit has been provided to me by CVJ and the whole views are based on my observations with this product and not influenced by the brand. The views might differ from person to person. If you are interested in purchasing this product then please go ahead via this unaffiliated link: http://surl.li/iwyjs
The sound of the KE-S follows a nice V shaped curve with a touch of warmth and brightness to the tone. The technical aspects seem pretty good and nothing bad to complain about. Let’s check out in detail about the sound through the following sections.
It’s well pronounced with the sub bass being slightly superior to the mid bass.. The KE-S being a V shaped the bass is definitely on the bigger side yet with some clean presentation.
- The sub bass does dig deeper and produces those nice subtle rumbles giving a sense of ethereal environment.
- The mid bass has the same presence with good kick drum attacks and bass guitar string notes weight. Since the sub bass takes the lead, the mid bass sounds cleaner and less congested.
- The presentation of bass felt cleaner even with heavier slam and fullness. Though they are not in the upper league, the separation felt cleaner for the most part.
- The attack and decay seem to be on the precise side thus this doesn’t produce that sluggish feel to the bass.
Being a V shaped profile the KE-S mid section takes a step back however the vocals are nicely presented forward creating an engaging and dynamic presentation.
- The lower mid section has that nice warmth and fullness carried along from that massive bass. The male vocals have that nice warmer tone giving a sense of fullness to it.
- The upper mid section is neatly presented with adequate elevation. The sibilance is null and the female vocals sound crispier and clean.
- The instruments however take the back seat but still they are recognizable, thanks to that cleaner imaging and layering.
- The tone and timbre appears natural with a hint of warmth for that pleasing listen overall.
- The treble feels nice and extended helps in extracting those essential details out of the track.
- There is adequate brightness to give the presentation a nice and airy feel. The brilliance however is on the average side hence top tier details retrieval can’t be expected at this price.
- The cymbal crashes and the trumpets do have that natural tone with more or less precise attack and decay thus producing a crispier listen.
- The sibilance is not experienced in this KE-S which is a pretty good thing considering the competitors in this segment tend to mess up in this category.
STAGING AND IMAGING OF KE-S: Surprisingly the staging felt nice and wide in this KE-S which helped in delivering a bigger presentation. The imaging and layering are on the average side especially when some complex tracks are presented.
The detail retrieval is on the average side while delivering the essential elements without any issues.
KE-S, the latest offering from the house of CVJ is a ultra budget IEM priced around 10USD delivers an immersive sound and is definitely a bang for buck product in this segment. This adopts a single dynamic driver and can be easily driven by the smartphone itself justifies the price segment this is placed in.
The IEM is completely made out of transparent plastic that is available in different colors. The provided stock cable is pretty nice compared to the previous black colored ones which tangles a lot more than the current one. Though the connector areas are plastic the cable does give a nice feel in the hands. The nozzle is slightly bigger hence I found difficulty in changing the ear tips.
The sound profile this KE-S follows is a nice REFINED V shaped with sub bass emphasis over the mid bass, engaging mid section and a sparkly treble. This provides that satisfying rumble along with that cleaner bass presentation. The vocals stand out here with that nice upfront presentation with natural tone( hint of warmth and brightness). The treble sounds bright enough with adequate details. The technical aspects especially the staging appears nice and wide while the imaging, layering are on the average side.
Overall, the KE-S is a REFINED V shaped IEM that delivers a nice engaging and dynamic sound without compromising much on the technical side. For the price of 10USD this is definitely a set that everyone must try!
POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES:
- Dynamic Bass Section
- Engaging Vocals
- Natural Tone
- Stage Width
- Controlled Treble (Sibilance Free)
- Recessed Mid Section
- Slight Driver Flex